Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Senator from Ohio, Mike Dewine

In an effort to feel like I'm actually doing something concerning the sad state of affairs in the Middle East, I decided to write my senators, Mike Dewine, and George Voinovich. Only Dewine has "written" me back thus far. My initial letter to him was a basic attempt to get his views on the Israel-Lebanon issue. This is what he wrote me:

July 31, 2006

Dear Patrick:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the current situation in the Middle
East. As you know, in June and July Israeli soldiers were kidnapped by
Hamas and Hezbollah. These actions have led to the current crisis. I
believe it is critical for the United States to do everything it can to
secure stability in the region.

The effort to curb violence and bring peace to the Middle East continues
to be a long and difficult process. It is essential that all parties
involved in this conflict work to minimize civilian casualties. Those
suffering will need our assistance. That is why I support U.S. efforts to
open humanitarian corridors in Lebanon, which will bring in essential food
and medicine.

In addition, I have supported U.S. efforts to bring democracy to Lebanon
and to assist the Lebanese in achieving full sovereignty and an end to the
Syrian occupation. It is important that this crisis not undermine this
progress toward freedom in Lebanon.

Finally, the United States must continue to play a leadership role in the
peace process. We must do what we can to make sure that all the people of
the Middle East can live without fear of further terrorist acts.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any additional questions
or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Very respectfully yours,

MIKE DEWINE
United States Senator



Amazingly, he wrote me back the following day.


I was going to post what I replied to him, but unfornuately, it wasn't saved. I will keep you updated as to his response.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home